Friday, January 6, 2012

Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup

A while ago, I posted a link for a Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup. It seriously takes forever to make and while it was amazing, I wanted a simpler Chicken Noodle Soup recipe.  So I went hunting for recipes online and found this one.   I have made it about 3 or 4 times by now and I think I've figured out my favorite way of making it after changing it around a few times.

Ingredients:
2 cups of cooked, diced chicken
2 cups of egg noodles
32oz Chicken Broth (about 4 cups)
2 cups water
1 diced carrot
1/2 tbsp chicken bouillion
1 small, finely chopped onion
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp chopped parsley (all I had was dried, but it worked)

I freeze my chicken, so I put one frozen split chicken breast in boiling water and cooked it for about 45 minutes to an hour until it was 170 degrees internal temperature (If you don't have a meat thermometer, get one! They are well worth the money!) I diced it and set it aside.

I diced the carrots by hand but this last time making this soup I decided to put the celery and onion in my food processor. (I have a Ninja, which doubles as blender and food processor... its definetly a favorite in my kitchen!) I liked it better that way because the kids ate the veggies without even realizing it, they loved carrots so I didn't have to worry about those.
In large cooking pot, cook the celery and onion in the butter until soft and translucent.
Add all the ingredients to the pot, except the noodles and parsley.
Bring it to a boil and the reduce heat to low.
Cover the pot and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf and add the noodles and parsley.
Cook until the noodles are tender. (about 7-8 min) Stir occasionally.
Serve and enjoy!!  
I made some French bread to go with! It was the perfect winter meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment