Tuesday, March 15, 2011

God, Marriage, and Children

I haven't been as actively posting on my blog because I have been diving into a bible study that has been most intriguing to me on the Song of Songs, called The Peasant Princess done by Pastor Mark Driscoll out in Seattle, WA. It's basically walking through what a Godly marriage should look like.

Having only been married 4 years on March 25, I am realizing that marriage is a lot more than it seems! God has an intricate plan for marriage, that is far beyond anything we can imagine. And I am learning to be not only a godly mother but also a godly wife and while that doesn't seem like it is two different people, it very much is!!

What I am learning about now is Priorities! What are your priorities? Can you put your husband before your children? Can you put God before your children? Can you put God before your husband? And finally Can you put all three of those things before everything else?

On Sunday, a lady I very much admire said to our Sunday school class "if someone put a gun to my head and told me to deny Christ, I would say 'shoot me because I can't' but if we turn that around and someone put a gun to my child's head and said 'deny Christ' could you do it as easily?" (not exactly what she said but close enough - remembering details isn't my gift). That has been weighing heavy on my heart!! Could I?? If someone threaten to kill my baby, could I put my God before him?? I don't know.... I would love to sit here and tell you that I would deny everything for Christ and follow Him. But can I?

So that took me to the story of Abraham and Isaac (Genesis 22:1-18), when not only was Abraham forced to choose between God and his son, but He had to kill him by his own hand! Abraham did not question, did not complain but instead packed up his stuff and took his ONLY son to the top of that hill to sacrifice him. God stopped him and gave him a sacrifice just in time! He was happy with Abraham for not withholding anything, for denying himself his one and only son for God! WOW! I don't know if I could do that! But not only was God happy with him but he blessed his WHOLE family, not just immediate! But every child in his blood line that would follow him would be BLESSED!

Well with that on my heart it was no surprise that when sat down last night with Jackson to read his bible that was our story! Now before I quote this I need to tell you the children's bible Jackson and I are reading far surpasses any children's bible I have ever read (and I have ready many)! Its called The Jesus Storybook Bible. Well at the end of the story of Abraham and Isaac, this book says, "Many years later, another Son would climb another hill, carrying wood on his back. Like Isaac, he would trust his Father and do what his Father asked. He wouldn't struggle or run away. Who was he? God's Son, his only Son - the Son he loved. The lamb of God." That was so powerful to me!!! God sacrificed and killed and punished HIS only son! Not Abraham's, not mine, not yours, HIS!!! For what? Because He loves us!

No comments:

Post a Comment