Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tab Top Curtains

I found an idea for some Tab Top Curtains for my boys' room as mentioned in Pajama Pants. I have now completed 2 of 4 curtains and want to share because I'm very excited! I don't know if I will take up making curtains for a living... its not nearly as much fun as making clothes and accessories but its definitely been nice to have a little creative liberty with my color schemes! These curtains are for my boys' room! The last 2 curtains are prepped, I just need to get some more lining and then put them together... I'm having motivation and time issues.

I personally did this a little differently than the tutorial. I actually had one set of curtains already but I needed 4 to cover all the windows. 
  • I bought some solid blue fabric to match the striped curtains I already had. 
  • I pulled out the seams on the striped curtains and cut it down the middle. 
  • I used the pre-made curtain to measure out and cut the blue fabric. I also used it for my seam and tab measurements.
  • Next I sew the blue and the striped fabric together in the middle (it doesn't have to be pretty because its inside the lining, but make sure its secure)
  • I cut the lining to fit inside the seams of the curtain.
  • Then I  pinned the seams down on top of the lining and also pinned the top tabs into place.
  • From then on it was just a whole lot of sewing! (Make sure to use a larger needle because the fabric is thick and you will break needles if they are too small)

After I complete the last 2 curtains, I have to begin some baby shower gifts because it seems everyone is having babies in the next few months!
Then, Jackson has requested a Max Costume ("Where the Wild Things are"), So I will probably start that first of October! Its his favorite book of all time, so he is pretty excited and won't stop asking me when he gets to wear it...

No comments:

Post a Comment