Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Gingerbread House

So Jackson came home from school one day talking about the gingerbread man story and having had gingerbread also that day, was very excited about it.  Well that sparked an idea! I had only ever made prepackaged gingerbread houses before and was in the mood to try my hand at made from scratch gingerbread!

So I googled it and found a pretty basic recipe, house tutorial, and stencil all in one place on Simply Recipes and the Royal Icing recipe, I found on Wilton.com
Mixing of the Gingerbread, click the link above for the recipe!
After Kneaded, Wrap in plastic wrap and refridgerate for 2 hours - 3 days
Remove chilled dough from fridge
Lightly flour and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness
Cut Pieces (using patterns from recipe) and bake at 350 degrees, 11-15 min for large pieces & 6-8 for small
Cool completely for 15 min
Make Royal Icing from recipe, I set a little extra aside and put some icing colors in it.
Start Building!!
Secure with lots of icing
Attaching the roof

decorate as desired!



I made people with the leftover gingerbread for the kids to eat!


This house was a blast to make but it took me a few days because I had to let the icing harden and I could only work on it at night because the boys bugged me to eat it constantly!

No comments:

Post a Comment